It’s no surprise I have food issues. Why? I’m sure it stems from childhood and I only became aware of behaviors when I joined Weight Watchers in 2005. Let’s list some possible reasons….
- my father committed suicide when I was in Kindergarten (I also think he did drugs)
- my mother remarried the man she cheated on my dad with
- my stepdad was an alcoholic
- my parents left me to fend for myself a lot as a child
- we always had Schwan’s ice cream in the freezer
- I was molested by my grandmother’s boyfriend when I’d sleep over on their couch, I’d yell out but no one would come
- I then told my parents about it later on, but nothing was done
- I was again molested by an uncle as I began to develop breasts
- my parents spent a lot of time in the bars drinking
- I bought a lot of junk food from the grocery store nearby
- my mother worked a lot at the casino and I suspect she had a gambling problem
- the mortgage company called our house a lot as a kid
- I should have gotten SSI from my dad’s death but my parents just blew it all
- when I applied to college and my other grandmother found out there was no money she was livid at my parents
- I went away to college and during my 2nd year they sold the house I grew up in
- my mom died when she was 41 and I had just graduated from college that previous Spring
- my step grandma died a couple of months later
- Tom and I eloped to Vegas to get married
- my grandma died shortly after that
In spite of all of this…
- I have a great husband
- a home of our own
- good jobs
- two wonderful, smart, beautiful daughters
Yet I struggle with food and comfort. So sad.
My challenge for the month of March is this…..
- No cereal
- No nuts
- No popcorn
Can I do it?
- Watch me!